Trees That May Be Toxic to Your Pets

Trees That May Be Toxic to Your Pets

Border Collie Puppy With Paws on White Rustic Fence 2Many dog and cat owners are conscientious of what their pets eat, how much exercise they get, and the amount of socializing they need. However, they may not consider what’s in their own yards–including trees that may be toxic to their furry friends. Take a close look at this list of trees that could harm your dog, cat, or horse, and give Inexpensive Tree Care a call if you have on your property:

Oak trees. Toxic element: tannic acid. This may be a surprise, as ubiquitous as oak trees are, but your pets can surely be harmed if they ingest the acorns of the oak tree. Horses are most likely to eat acorns on more than one occasion, putting them more at risk for severe gastrointestinal irritation, depression and kidney damage. Dogs and cats, however, because they are likely to eat a very small amount of acorns, can experience mild-to-moderate gastrointestinal upset, which can include vomiting, diarrhea, and abdominal discomfort. However, there is also the potential for mechanical irritation (from the sharp fragmented pieces of acorn), and possible obstruction, should a large amount of acorn material become lodged in the GI tract.

Cherry, apricot, peach, and plum trees. Toxic element: gallotannin or cyanogenic glycosides. The stems, leaves, seeds  of some species contain cyanide, particularly toxic in the process of wilting. Both the twigs and foliage of cherry trees can be fatal to dogs and cats if eaten, and in dogs, cats, and horses, brick red mucous membranes, dilated pupils, difficulty breathing, panting, and shock.

Red maple trees. Toxic element: Unknown. Other names for this tree include swamp maple, scarlet Maple, curled maple, and soft maple. If ingested by a dog, cat, or horse, the red maple leaves will impair red blood cell function and may cause abdominal pain, change in urine color, darkened eye and mouth membranes, dog founder (inflamed paw), lack of appetite, and lethargy. The red maple tree can be deadly–especially for horses. If you have red maples on your property, either have them removed by a professional or make it impossible for your pets and livestock to reach them or their leaves.

Black walnut trees. Toxic element: potential mold growth. Toxic for horses and dogs, yet non-toxic for cats, the danger of this tree presents in the mold that grows on the nuts from the tree. These molds can lead to-mild to-moderate depression, anorexia, fluid buildup in the legs, laminitis, increased heart and respiratory rate, increased body temperature, and mild colic on occasion.

To help keep your pets and livestock safe and healthy, it is smart to simply remove the toxic trees from your property–and that’s where Inexpensive Tree Care comes in. We provide expert tree removal well as a wide array of tree care services. Please give us a call at our Portland, Oregon-based office at (503) 504-4179.

Inexpensive Tree Care
Inexpensive Tree Care
Inexpensive Tree Care prides itself on providing our customers with the best possible tree service in the industry. Read More
Recent Posts
lawn_care_tips_portlanddrought-stressed tree, cropped